Update #1: As per request at the “Profitable Podcaster” breakfast Meetup we had a Blogworld and New Media Expo, we have launched a Profitable Podcasting Page at Facebook. Link – http://www.facebook.com/profitablepodcasting
Update #2: Just got off phone with Rick, he loved my ideas and I’ll certainly be (a bigger) part of this next year. I recommend you be part of it as well.
I write this at the Las Vegas Airport with really bad coffee but some very good (free wifi). I figured I’d dash out of my thoughts on the event before I get on the plane.
- I’m coming back next year. Rick Calvert brought a ton of people together that I really need to see, shake hands with, hug, make deals with and more. It may not have been the complete list – but it was a heck of a lot more complete than any other option out there. I’ll be back. In what capacity? Keep reading.
- “Missing Ontario” is silly. I heard from a few Podcasters that they “missed” the Ontario days. That’s somewhat as smart as missing the days of the 2400 baud modem (ask your parents). We need to continue to grow as an industry and you do that by having your industry expos in towns that host industry expos.
- The companies who didn’t attend are doing far more damage than their Vegas bill could ever rack up. If we are going to become an “industry” we need to act like an “industry” – that means we show up to our events, buy booths, court new customers, appreciate the old ones, raise expectations and standards, etc. “Not knowing if it is worth it” is a weak response. Lead us with a strong one. Mad props to Leo Laporte committing to bring his entire staff to next year’s event. We will hold you to it. To the companies who hosted parties, we’ll get you the press you deserve to believing in this. I challenge Jim Louderback of Revision3 and even Adam Curry of Mevio to do the same. Wizzard – where were you? Microsoft, Apple, etc., wake up.
- We need to expand the term “monetization.” I realized in the middle of day 2 that for some the term “monetization” means seeing the first elusive dollar for their efforts while for others it means breaking 7 and 8 digit barriers. When I shared news of a Podcast generating more than a thousand dollars a day (that was actually willing to speak it’s name and show proof), I saw half the room with an excited look in their eyes of what was possible while I saw others staring with a blank look that screamed “so, should I do those Adsense things from the Google?” Maybe next year we have a “Monetization” track and then a “Real Money” track? Thoughts?
- We’re grownups – and we need to act like it. I want this to be constructive, but the closing keynote was insulting and damaging. The pride where by which the participants spewed constant and consistent profanities and potty level sex jokes made us look like a bunch of silly middle schoolers with a tiny bit of freedom but no understanding of how the real world works. There is more to new media than being able to swear. I have no problem with profanity and abhor censorship but when you go to NC-17 levels of “humor” just because you can, it doesn’t convince anyone to take you seriously. Even Vegas knows how to label adult stuff. Nuff said, and I’m sure I’ll get some “sh*t” for this one.
- We need focus. This is an extension of the thoughts above but goes in the other direction as well. Like we need to expand the concept of monetization to include “real” versus “beer” money we need to move from the fan and hobbyist club mentality to working together to build this industry. I understand how complicated it is to even hope that thousands of people attending your even will do anything, but I think we can kick it up a notch here. This is a much a comment for the vendors, presenters and attendees as it is a comment for the event as a whole.
- My offer to Rick. Rick, we have the makings here of something pretty fabulous and special. I’d love to help next year in any way I can. I’ve got a an idea a bit too complex to share in this blog (plus the flight is about to board) that I’d like to run that by you as well. I think I “get” what you’re trying to do here and my concept will (I think at least) further your solid agenda. I hope we can chat once you catch up on your sleep.
I would really appreciate your thoughts on this one. Please leave them below.